I've seen the episode of Freaks and Geeks that we watched in class the other day, but this time when I watched it with a sociological mindset it seemed a little different to me. The different groups in the episode seemed to be the freaks, the geeks, and the bullies. Along with that there were other groups that overlapped: like Lindsay's family. She was the freak, her brother was the geek, and her mom and dad were there to lead both of the in the right direction no matter what they were part of.
I think that there are definetly some negative influences from the groups. The freaks cause Lindsay to start smoking and do worse in school. The geeks cause her little brother to be social outcasts and get picked on, and the bullies are hated by some people.
But also along with that, I think that it's very function in the way that they all have something they belong to and somewhere to go.
My school also has "cliques" but I don't think they are as apparent. There are so many people that it's hard to belong to just one group, so I think a lot of people end up overlapping. I also think that students here are so stressed about college because it's the norm, and we haven't really lived life any other way.
Ya i feel the same way. my school has cliques but they arent really visable. there are too many people to really form groups that conflict with eachother...so weird thats similar, i wonder where you go to school...
ReplyDeleteYou're so right about the overlapping cliques. Maybe it's because school is so big it's a lot easier to make friends in all sorts of groups.
ReplyDeleteUg college. I should go work on those... haha