I really enjoyed the movie we watched in class. I'm a sucker for most mobster movies, and the social construction in this one was really relevant. The neighborhood that C. lives in consists of all Italians. Some people, like C.'s dad, try to stay out of the mafia part, but others, like Sonny, embraced it and were in charge. Most of them know that it's an unwritten rule that they don't like black people. They're not welcome in their town, and the Italians aren't welcome on their side either. When C. goes out with the girl, he's breaking a sort of code that he knows his friends will shun him for. However, to his suprise, Sonny tells him to go for it and that she might be "one of the great ones."
In school, you'll sometimes see a couple and think "how are they together", but you thinking that just means that they have overcome this social obstacle that C. had to overcome too. I think it's really cool that people get to know others outside of their comfort zone, even if it doesn't sit well with others.
Nice post Yelena. I like how you explain the relationship to your life below each post. Could you try to add more details or a more specific example to how it relates to your life?
ReplyDelete