Thursday, August 26, 2010
Silence
The first day of school, sociology class started with the teacher taking a seat in the back and sitting silently. It let to an awkward silence because no one knew what to do or say. All our lives we've been taught to follow the teacher and expect them to tell us how to start class. With this change of pace, a lot of students were taken aback and not sure how to deal with it, but why did that silence have to be awkward? Not all silences are. For example, every other year I've started school the teacher would tell us to be quiet and that wouldn't be awkward, but when not given instructions people become confused and nervous and the mood becomes awkward. I think we have to get out of the sociological rut that we're in, and start to see how others live their life and how we can change ours.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ha - great point about being told to be silent is okay. But I bet the teacher filled the air with his/her words shortly after that.
ReplyDelete