Sunday, September 12, 2010

Boat Experiment

In class we were supposed to pretend we were stranded on a boat but it could only hold a certain amount of us, so the rest had to be kicked off. It was interesting to see how people decided who to keep and who to basically kill. At first people thought about who would be the most important for society as a whole but then they started focusing more on how to keep themselves alive. The man without hands was the first to go because he wouldn't be of help on the boat, and eventually the pregnant cheerleader was kicked off. I understand the reasoning that she wouldn't really be much of a help, but I also think that since she was going to bring a baby into the world, that was pretty important to save.

I think this, in a way, relates to how all of us live our lives every day. We decide who to "keep" in our groups, and who to keep in touch with in our families. I feel like if everyone took a step back and saw that people had a lot more to offer than some may think, we may all learn something new.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you 100%. We are so quick to judge nowadays. So many people have more to offer than what is just skin deep. I wish sometimes that people could be like Hal in Shallow Hal, and see the real beauty in people. We would have such happier lives, and we would learn so much fom everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yess! I agree with you all the way. The boat activity we all had to decide who was the most useful in this world, and it was hard to see others lives go to waste. Today, we all have to make decisions for what would be the best for us all. To me, I feel that this activity relates to everyday life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This experiment totally showed the class how judgmental people are. By taking a step back, we realize that kicking people out of your life is only fencing you into a trap that prevents you from meeting new people.

    ReplyDelete