Thursday, December 9, 2010

Race

This week we talked about how race isn't biological like most people think; it's actually just a social creation. It was interesting to see how other countries like Brazil have a completely different view on race. Someone in the same family can be different races. I think that's pretty mindblowing considering how we as Americans as raised to view race. There are only a couple categories which people can fit into, which in my opinion is ridiculous because not that many are so similar. There's so much else that we have to take into context. Also, people put others into stereotypes because of this. I know one time I was going with my cousin, her boyfriend, and his little nieces downtown and we took a wrong turn and ended up in the southside of Chicago. He was telling them to lock their doors and they just sort of looked confused and asked why? It was pretty awkward and hard to explain because they were still being taught to treat everyone the same. It was only because we were in a "black" neighborhood, and it's kind of sad to see that that's how we've been programmed.

2 comments:

  1. I never knew that race wasn't real until this last week. I think there are sooo many more "races" than Americans consider. That happens to me too. Even though I try to not notice race, I always tense up when I am driving through a "bad" area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Caitlin, I never knew race wasn't real until this week, and I think its cool how many races there are in our world

    ReplyDelete