Thursday, December 16, 2010

Crash

This week we watched the movie Crash in class. I think it was really eye opening and something everyone could relate to. I'm sure there's no one that hasn't judged somebody before or made up their mind about who they are before they met them. That's basically what the whole movie is about. Race isn't just a black and white issue. I think the movie did a good job of showing that there are so many races, and so many stereotypes about them. Also, like the Persian family, people may stereotype you for a race you aren't (muslim in their case). I really liked how the movie played along and how everyone was interrconnected in the end. I think metaphorically, it was to show that everyone is actually one and race is just a social thing that different cultures make up. The scene where Sandra Bullok and her husband get their car stolen is very difficult because she says people will call her racist if she says anything but she has a gut feeling, and I know this actually happens to me when I drive through a "sketchy"area. I once got stuck in Mayfair on foot and although I don't think of myself as prejudice, I wanted to get out of there quickly. I guess it's something that's hard to change, but we should all be more mindful of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment