Thursday, November 4, 2010

Teens vs Adults

As a teen, it's hard to know what's expected of us. We discussed how there are certian milestones in each of our lives, and it's only until our mid-20s that we're actually expected to be completely independent. I do agree that our society makes this hard for us to do. We are not allowed to be "adults" for basically our whole lives, but then we hit a certian age where we are expected to be completely responsible and fully independent from our parents. I think as time has gone on, teens are associated more and more with bad things and messing up but that's not neccessarly true. Adults are prone to drug use, alcohol use, and suicide even more than teens are. Personally, it's hard to go from following the rules everywhere we go, to having to be the leader in order to succeed. I also agree with the idea that jobs aren't really helping us a whole lot. My job doesn't let me get promoted to something I want to do later in life. I work retail and the rest of the people, even my managers, aren't any older than their 20s. I think our society has to learn to run a little more smoothly during everyone's transitions in life.

3 comments:

  1. ALthough I agree with you that it is hard to turn independent all of a sudden, I believe that it is more of a transition than a sudden turnaround. THroughout our life, we slowly get more and more independent. By the age of 2 we walk and go places around the house on our own, and feed ourselves, by 12 some kids can bike to their friends house without needing a parent to drive them, by 16 most kids can drive wherever they want (even if it means not telling the parents) and by 16 lots of kids get jobs, and by 18 we live alone at college, so I think by 20 we should be ready to be independent thanks to society

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the independence part. But I also have to say that I have a job where I really learn good life skills. I'm a hostess and that may not seem like a life changing job, but it really helps me learn how to communicate and deal with other people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Along the lines of what Julia says, the job might teach skills and might be a source of income, but it doesn't give you a sense of meaningful and necessary work and so as a teen you are still left feeling stuck in a roleless status.

    ReplyDelete