Sunday, November 28, 2010
Social Class and Poverty
In class we watched a movie about how a woman, Tammy, is very poor, but her son wants to do something more with his life and move. However, it's very hard for him and he can only resort to dressing more like a "preppy kid." I think that because of society's standards, it will be very hard for him to move up a class. He definitely needs to finish high school and probably have at least some college if not all 4 years. That will probably prove to be incredibly difficult for him since he doesn't have to money. Social class is how we view the people that have certain amounts of money. I think that even if he goes to a better school, people will still know where he came from. At our school there are people that don't have a lot of money but you can't really tell because of how they act and how they dress. It's pretty uncommon to be viewed as something other than a rich kid here, no matter where you come from. I think that's kind of different than most other schools/places.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree that it will be very hard for Tammy's son to reach a higher class because people can see how he is living in poverty and how he doesn't have much, and it would take him a while to really have people see him as something better than that.
ReplyDelete