Monday, November 15, 2010

Positive Deviance

This week I did an act of positive deviance, and I have to say it felt pretty good. On Saturday I was working at my job at the mall, and during my break I went to get some frozen yogurt. I saw a guy standing in line behind me and thought that would be a perfect opportunity to do something nice. He looked like he was buying about the same amount as me so I figured it would be around the same price. I gave the cashier $7, so it would cover both me and him, and possibly even give her some leftover. I told her to keep the change and use it to pay for his yogurt. She looked at me like I was insane at first and asked if I was sure. The guy also looked at me weirdly but then he said "thank you so much" and I told him no problem and left. It felt kind of strange to just pay for a random person and then leave, but I felt really good about myself. Even though society may view this as deviant and weird, I think it was a really good experience, and in reality I think/hope I made the guy's day just by doing something so simple.

1 comment:

  1. That's really cool that you did that! It's funny that the cashier thought you were crazy, but all you were trying to do was be nice. People are so set on the social structure and any deviance tends to freak people out.

    ReplyDelete