Thursday, November 18, 2010

Drugs in Jail

This week we talked about how the majority of prisoners are in jail because of drugs. Also, one fourth of the prisoners in the world and in the US. I think that's crazy but also could be because out justice system isn't worked out that well. As a a society, we believe that everyone who does something illegal needs to be locked up, and even though that may be true, we also need to figure out how we figure out what's considered worse than something else. Personally, I can't say I know someone who's in jail at this moment, but I have known a couple of people who have gone to juvie. They were for drug charges ,which is basically what everyone goes for. I think that beating your wife or murdering someone should definitely be a longer sentence than drugs but that's not always how it works. People get away with major things that affect everyone, while drugs basically only affect the individual and they get into so much more trouble for it. Also, I agree with the movie we watched that prisons should have rehab centers because if people are going to be kept in jail, they might as well turn their life around and be productive.

6 comments:

  1. I agree that people get away or punished less for something that affects multiple while people using drugs which is mainly affecting themselves and their own lifestyle are getting sentenced for longer, as if killing wasn't as bad as drugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Yelena. I think that our criminal justice system needs to get its priorities straight and start focusing on the bigger crimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that there's negative reinforcement when it comes to the legal system, because its way worse to harm someone directly than indirectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, I think that there are much worse crimes than drug use that need to have longer sentences, and I feel that cops need to really lighten up on their strictness against drugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, sentences for drug use is too harsh. Murdering someone is way worse than using drugs. Our law enforcement needs to prioritize more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, our law enforcement needs to focus more with sentencing murders way worse than a drug charge. Cops need to take more action on the bigger crimes.

    ReplyDelete