Thursday, October 21, 2010

Body Image

Today we discussed body image problems in class. We talked about how the media influences women to the point of eating disorders and even sometimes death to look beautiful. I think people need to know that what they see on TV and in the magazines isn't real, and it's not something to strive for. It's sad to see that this is what our society has gotten to, and that so many young girls are having so many self esteem hardships because of this. Some people said that if you don't care, the ads shouldn't affect you, but that's not true. Young girls are bombarded with these and even if they don't really pay attention, it subconsciously tells them that this what they have to look like, and they have to ooze sex appeal or else no one will like them.

3 comments:

  1. "I think people need to know that what they see on TV and in the magazines isn't real, and it's not something to strive for."
    I really agree with you about this because, what we see isn't the real thing. We are told to go for that look when it's all shaped up to be sooo "perfect", and it makes others feel insecure about themselves. Not being what society is showing us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the video and I completely agree with you! I'm glad that I can now realize that I have probably been influenced by the media about body image and I agree that it is sad that this is what society is like now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great video! It's scary how surrounded we are by images of what women are supposed to look like, and the effect they have on kids.

    ReplyDelete